Calling all Band Members!
Calling all band members! Time to check out instruments and get ready to play! All returning 7th and 8th grade band members please come by the band hall Thursday between 9 AM and 11AM to check out an instrument and practice for our first performance! We will perform Monday morning the first day of school! We need Concert and Symphonic Band members to arrive early Monday, 8AM, to perform!
Sunday, June 5, 2016
Band Camp with The Dallas Winds!
Band Campers get ready for a great week of fun, friends and music!
- Wear your Band Shirt on the first Day
- Be ready to load the bus by 7:45
- The band room will be open early by 7:30 or earlier for practice
- If you haven't checked out your instrument yet be there early
- Lunch will be provided each day
- We will get back to Walker around 3:45 each day
- Camp is Monday through Saturday
- Saturday is your big performance in the Meyerson Symphony Center
- Invite your family - the concert is free and open to the public
Monday, May 30, 2016
Instrument Check out this week!
Students who are returning to Walker Band next year may check out an instrument for the summer and next year. Check out times will be Wednesday afternoon, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning this week. The annual instrument fee of $25 will be collected at that time.
Students attending band camp should arrive at the band room each morning Mon-Saturday by 7:45 AM in order to catch the bus. The bus will return students to Walker each day between 3:30 - 4:00 PM.
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
End of Year!It has been a tremendous year for our band. Many great performances. A record number of beginners advancing and a record class of recruits for next year. I'm very grateful to all the parents who chaperoned, fixed meals, road busses and helped in any way. Thank you!
Instrument Check INAll School District instruments must be turned in Wednesday 5/25/16
Instrument check OUTInstruments may be checked out next week for next year if the student is returning to Walker and will be in the band. This will help them with summer activities like band camp.
BAND CAMP!The Dallas Winds Band camp is June 6 - 11 from 8:00 - 3:30 each day.
Transportation to Booker T Washington High School and lunch is provided each day.
Catch the bus each morning at Walker at 7:45
Cost is $25
Registration is due by Friday 5/27
Wednesday, May 11, 2016
Symphonic Band Performance at Peak Festival!
The Symphonic Band will be performing at the Peak Music Festival this Friday. The performance will be at Wakeland High School, 10700 Legacy Drive, Frisco, TX 75033.
See below for the schedule.
Students will wear Concert Black dress attire with blue accents. Any combination of black and or gray dress clothes as described below.
- Boys shall wear black or gray dress pants, dress shirt, and dress shoes and socks. Boys may wear a jacket and tie but it is not required. If wearing a tie it may be black or blue as an accent.
- Girls shall wear a black pants outfit similar to the boys or a skirt and blouse or black dress. All skirts and dresses MUST be knee length or longer. No short skirts allowed. Remember this is a formal event. Black leggings or tights with a dress are highly recommended.
Schedule for Friday May 13, 2016
- 8:00 AM - Rehearsal in the band hall. Required for all Symphonic Band members
- 8:30 AM - Regular class schedule
- 11:30 AM - Symphonic Band Rehearsal
- 12:30 PM - Lunch
- 1:00 PM - Pack and Load bus
- 1:30 PM - Depart for Peak Festival at Wakeland High School
- 2:30 PM - Registration
- 3:00 PM - Warm Up
- 3:30 PM - Performance
- 4:30 PM - Pack and load bus
- 5:30 PM - Arrive at Walker MS
Saturday, April 30, 2016
Congratulations to all the students who performed at the Sandy Lake Music Festival today! Beginning Band, Concert Band and Symphonic Band all did an outstanding job.
We were judged by four of the most highly respected Band Directors in the business today:
Col. Jay Brewer - Texas A&M University
Dr. Ken Van Winkle - New Mexico State University
Dr. Ray Lichtenwalter - Univ. Texas at Arlington
Mr. Joe Gunn - Trinity High School
- All three bands received a 1st division rating from each judge and a first division trophy.
- The Concert Band won the trophy for the Outstanding band in Class C.
- The Symphonic Band won the trophy for the Outstanding band in Class CC.
Thank you parent volunteers and Directors!
The catering team, led by Estella Castillo, bought, prepared, and served enough food to feed the Wolf-pack bands, their directors, the bus drivers, and the Chaperons.
The Chaperon team, led by Mrs. Aquino and Mr. Truncali, road buses, hauled equipment, supervised groups in the park, and supervised students in the performance area.
This was an outstanding effort by more than 25 volunteers to organize, feed, supervise, and move 150 students in 3 different performances.
Thank you to Mr. Pogue and Mr. Lopez for the leadership and expertise the share with our students every day. You are making a generous investment in our students that could never be repaid.
I'm am proud and humbled to be part of this band family. Thank you students, parents, and directors!
Tuesday, April 26, 2016
April 30 – All Bands to Sandy lake Music Festival
1800 Sandy Lake Road, Carrollton 75006
7:30 – Band Hall Opens
8:00 – Meeting in band hall, discuss schedule for the day, assignments given
8:15 – Load busses, roll check on bus
8:30 – Busses depart from Walker – (We will leave on time or EARLY)
9:00 – Arrive at Sandy Lake, unload bus, line up for beginner performance
9:30 – Beginner band Warm up
9:45 – Beginner Band Performance – Concert and Symphonic in the audience
10:00 – Beginner band pack up and seated in the audience
11:00 – Concert Band Get instruments and line up
11:15 – Concert Band Warm up and Performance
12:00 – Symphonic Warm up
12:30 – Symphonic performance
12:45 – Picnic lunch
1:00- 3:00 – Time in the park for RIDES!
3:00 – Load busses – roll call
3:15 – busses depart
4:00 – Arrive Walker MS – Put away equipment - then dismissed
Students can bring $5 BEFORE we go on the trip to sign up for the picnic lunch or they may bring their own sack lunch the day of the trip. Please indicate below your choice and return this slip with $5 if choosing the picnic lunch.
My student______________________________, will
_____ eat at the picnic. $5 is included with this slip
_____ will bring their own sack lunch.